Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sureal.

A few weeks ago I traded rooms because an opportunity came up to live with my friend Tiffany who has a bathroom in her room....while I was sad to leave my roommate Erica, it was good to get my own bathroom and Erica was excited to have her own room. I still hang out with Erica and we have become close friends.

On Saturday Erica and another one of my friends Abbey were announced missing. They had gone hiking/camping in the back country of Denali National Park on Thursday and were supposed to be back on Friday morning. They did not report back to work on Saturday which started the search process. We are required by our employer to fill out travel slips when we do any type of camping or hiking so that if this type of thing happens they know how long we are supposed to be gone and a round about spot of where we are going to be. Also the Park makes you take a course and get a permit to go back country hiking/camping. You also have to sign out a bear can to hold your food in from the park ranger....their bear can has not been turned in. Search and Rescue started today and their parents were notified that they are missing. I was one of the last people to talk to Erica on Wednesday night before they left. She told me that she was leaving and where they had planned to go. I have replayed that conversation thousands of times in my head trying to think of anything that would help. This situation is so crazy. Not knowing and just waiting to see what happens. I have been a little emotional today. Hopefully this story has a happy ending.

3 comments:

jooglin said...

I hope everything turns out okay for your friends. I'll keep them in my prayers.

Lib-Dawg said...

I hope it has a happy ending too. What's the latest? I know it's only Monday, but what's the verdict?

Klein said...

Horrible! What's the weather up there like? I hope all is o.k. but time is definitely not on their side, I hope at least the weather is. Please keep us posted.