Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What an Amazing Week!





Last Friday I had the opportunity to take a flight tour around and above the summit of Mt. McKinley! Words cannot describe the beauty and wonder of this mountain! It was amazing! (to say the least) We took a little eight seater plane and basically did figure 8's around the mountain, flew in between the two peeks, flew along the Alaska range and saw some amazing glaciers! This tour is normally upwords of $400, because I work for Princess I got to go for free but we are requred to tip the pilot and let me tell you it was the best $30 I have ever spent! I went with one of my co-workers whose name is Matt he is a lot of fun. Because the airplane has large sightseeing windows it is not pressurized and we are required to wear oxygen masks. Once we got within view of the mountain the pilot told us that that week some Japanese mountain climbers had been lost on the mountain for 12 days, there bodies still have not been found. That makes 37 bodies that have not been recovered on Mt. McKinley....kinda creepy! We were able to see several base camps at different elevations and when we came upon the summit there were 4 climbers that were about 2 hrs away from reaching the summit, which according to our pilot is a rare thing to see! I am very grateful for the opportunity I had to do this, it was such an awesome experience!!!




4 comments:

jooglin said...

That mask looks so good on you. Did you keep it?

Debbie Gisle said...

You look like Ian did in the hospital!! How fun! What a GORGEOUS site to see. Thanks for sharing. Fun, fun!

Lib-Dawg said...

I'm so jealous!!! I'm glad you got to go up and experience that. I flew over it on the way to Fairbanks...but not that great.

Klein said...

Awesome!
p.s. youre looking good!